Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tyler, you're the worst thing that's ever happened to me

One of my favorite lines from a movie is from Fight Club. "Tyler, you're the worst thing that's ever happened to me." Some people don't really think about this line. Not only do I think that this line is the whole underlying point to the movie, but I also think that it's one of the most romantic lines in cinema history (cinistory as I like to call it). Marla was not the type of person to fall in love,but she did. The worst thing that could ever happen to her was in fact, to fall in love. Perhaps the worst thing (but also the best thing) to happen to any of us is to fall in love. Love makes you do crazy things. Love makes you feel out of character. Love makes you vulnerable. Love will turn your world upside down. And at the same time, love makes you feel the complete opposite of those things I've listed. To make someone feel crazy, out of character, vulnerable, and at the same time sane, who you truly are, stronger- that sounds like the worst thing. I can easily replace "you're the worst thing to happen to me" with a more simple "I love you." You know the line that there's a thin line between love and hate- well it's true. I for one hate being in love because it makes me feel like a different Thomas. I'm unfamiliar with this new version of myself. At the same time, I love it. The excitement of it all! So the worst thing that ever happened to me was falling in love... the next worst thing- having that root canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment